Saturday, October 3, 2009

Work....Graveyard Gab

Lately I have been subbing up at the school I was I at "pre molly". While I do love teaching, it is such a strange environment. Surrounded by students who hate school, have more problems at home then I could ever comprehend, and often are written off as not having a chance, who are being taught by teachers who are completely ignorant sometimes I come home with many reactions at the end of the day. The first, Molly is never leaving the house or associating with anyone her age until she is 21. I can't believe the stories I hear. Maybe I was naive in high school or maybe the world is going to hell in a hand basket much more quickly than I anticipated. The things that go on in schools, not just the alternative high school, are unfathomable to me. The lack of personal responsibility is outrageous. These problems start at home, yes, their parents are disasters, yes, they are just continuing the cycle. But, doesn't there come a point where they have to take some personal responsibility??? Second, will I ever be a successful teacher?? Are my students actually going to learn something??? Or will I eventually give in to their beliefs and lower my expectations for them just as they have. I am shocked at how many students truly don't believe they are smart enough. I am also shocked at how many students use this idea as an excuse to not push themselves at all. I specifically remember in 8th grade writing several different essays; persuasive, informative, etc. Students today don't even know what a thesis statement is, then when explained can not write one to save their lives. They literally look like they will have an aneurysm when prompted to do any kind of activity that may require some kind of critical thinking or analysis. Was I this way?? Third, why are some of these parents allowed to have children? The things that go on in these homes right in front of the kids in unconsionable. I sometimes ponder whether there should be some sort of test before people are allowed to have children or even to have sex. Because obviously, these are the people not using birth control, who can't afford to have or even want to have a child. Sometimes that free agency idea boggles my mind. Fourth, I wonder if there will be a day when I don't care about any of this....

Maybe I should find a job that I can do from home. Venting over...

Molly... the last few days she has been napping better. She loves sweet potatoes. She likes her baths and continually grabs the sponge or wash cloth full of water and somehow manages to get it up her nose. She freaks out every time but does it again within a few minutes. She startles as easily as her mother. She still doesn't try to roll over, she just pushes up for a little while, gets mad and tries to eat the carpet. Her favorite room in the house is the kitchen. She loves to sit in her bumbo and watch me cook or clean. She has found a new best friend in her bedroom, while she continues to like the wall hangings another in human object has captured her attention. She has a green oscillating fan that she discovered and now loves to follow and laugh at.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

scary huh! i think about all this stuff too. we just have to do the best we can!!

Kara Foster said...

I agree, although I've pushed to age back to 30 for leaving the house now. I still don't think there ready at 21

LauraP said...

I agree! I work at the Child and Family Support Center and I see sad situations that make me realize some people really shouldn't have kids at all!

Mike and Kim said...

Amen to how crazy people are able to have kids is just mild boggling to me as well. I see that A LOT at my work. People living off of the government who can't even take care of themselves popping out children, while others perfectly capable of having children are unable to. I don't understand it. The world is just getting worse and worse. I know someday we will all understand it, hopefully. :)