Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Graveyard Gab.....Falling

Every season goes by so fast but it seems like Fall is going by 3 days at a time. I kept thinking that it hadn't been long since I had blogged but it has been 2 weeks. Who knew? I am having an internal debate about blogging lately, I'm sure you have noticed. I started this whole thing to justify the fact that I don't write in a journal. I have never been good at it and I honestly don't think that I ever will, so a blog seemed like a good answer.
While I would like my motivation to derive from the idea of a journal I feel pressure. Yes, peer pressure to have a cool blog. So many of my blog friends are such talented writers, they come up with interesting posts that have stimulating visual aids. After I read these I think to myself, "why would anyone want to read my blog?" Then, I think to myself, "wait, I'm not doing it for them." But let's be honest, I am.
Second issue, I feel that there are two types of blogs. One of these involves pictures, lots of pictures. I, myself, enjoy pictures. However, there is a healthy limit. The other day a co-worker was looking at my blog, which hasn't had many pictures lately, and jokingly commented about how there weren't any pictures and how she didn't want to read all of the words. While she was kidding, I wonder if people don't care what I have to say. Is this true? Do I need more pictures?
Just thinking about this makes me all out of sorts. Now I feel like for my next post I have to come up with some witty topic with equally witty humor throughout and adorably photo-shopped pictures. No promises.
So much pressure.

8 comments:

Wes and Dani said...

I enjoy seeing other people's pictures...their cute children, their vacations, their crafty projects, house remodels, etc....BUT pictures aren't necessary to make a post interesting. I always read every word of your posts regardless of whether or not there are photos or you are saying anything particularly enlightening.

You shouldn't feel pressure to write--only write when you have something to say. :) This blog IS yours, and though there is pressure (in your head) to write for an audience, you are under no obligation to do so.

I feel pressure a lot too--particularly with my craft blog--to update regularly and keep exciting things posted. But truth be told it kind of sucks because a) I am too busy right now to worry about blogging b) half the time even when I'm not busy I have no motivation to spend my time updating my craft blog and as a result, it becomes a drudgery, which is never what it was intended to be.

Okay, so I blabbed and blabbed...the point is: Say what you want, add (or don't add) whatever photos you want, and don't care who is reading (or not reading) it. It IS for journaling purposes, so you just have to learn to not care if it's perfect. It's not a professional website--it's your life.

Kelsey said...

I agree with Wes and Dani. I also love reading your blog and I'm embarrassed by my writing because your blog IS witty and fun! Mine, well you can tell that I was never good in English. I just figure I'm going to make mine into a book and whatever I want to look at or read, and whatever I want my kids to look at and read, well that's what I'm going to blog about.

Don't worry about your blogging. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Jess, i LOVE your blog. I think your graveyard gab is enjoyable and insightful. I do, however want to see more photos of you guys, doesn't mean they have to be photo shopped or even stunning! loves. cara

Andrea said...

You're definitely right about the pressure- going private has taken that off quite a bit. I enjoy your thoughts though- keep it up!

Tami said...

You shouldn't compare your blog to anyone else's. If you did what everyone else does, it wouldn't be you.

As for pictures. I'm with you. I think pictures are fine but some people go way overboard. In fact, I confess, there are some blogs I now avoid because all they are are pictures and not much else. Pictures only tell so much of the story. And, let's face it, they take more time to insert into a post than just text.

Please don't stop blogging. I don't always leave comments but I always read your posts.

Melissa said...

I too read every word of every one of your posts even without the pictures my love. My blog life got so much better (less pressure) but also less entertaining when i went private. When i truely started making it for me and not for anyone else is when i started to enjoy it again. And if no one reads it (which i doubt they do based on comments) I really don't care.


I love you know matter what you blog (as long as it isn't about your love of obama :)) so do whatever makes you happy.

Brittany said...

I read every word. Loves!

Lynette said...

I like reading your blog. And, we ONLY have pictures on our blog most the time, which I think is boring. But, most the time I am blogging, I am also nursing and it's such a pain to type one-handed. I wish I could journal on my blog more because I am the WORST journal writer ever. But I do have to agree with the pressure to have a "cool" blog. Something worth looking at right? :)