As I work all night I try to alternate activities; read, blog, facebook, movie, etc. Now there are some very special things I come across and I think that it is my duty to share with the public.
Families are Forever
On a different note:
- Last night I finished My Sister's Keeper. I have been avoiding it because of the things that I had heard. I didn't know if I wanted to go through the emotional toil I thought would ensue. However, it wasn't as bad as I thought. It was definitely more thought provoking and turned out very differently than I expected.
- Watched an episode of Big Brother. This was a first time experience for me. I have never watched the show or knew much about it for that matter. I have to say it wasn't a great experience. The challenges were probably among the top 10 dumbest things seen on tv for me. Of course it is like most reality shows where you can't believe how dumb people are so you continue to watch it. I often wonder where they find these people. They must use some tactic to find the dumbest, most outspoken, confrontational people in the U.S. If that is their ultimate goal they have found success!
- Watching Lions for Lambs. Big fan! It stars Meryl Streep, Robert Redford and Tom Cruise. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it. Yes, it is rated R. I apologize.
-Politics have been weighing heavily on my mind but I just don't know if I want to take my blog there. I want my blog to be a happy place and politics usually generates heated conversations. However, there are just a few key points I want to remind the general public of:
Disclaimer: I don't want any hate mail...yes, Melissa, I'm talking to you.
- The President of the United States cannot make laws. Obviously he has a great influence but ultimately the only power he has is a veto which can be over ridden. The only people who can do that are your representatives. So let your representatives know how you feel.
- Change is healthy for government. I know many are upset by the control the Democrats have in our current government. Well, all I have to say is, "You had your turn and you will have a turn again". In a two party system it is not healthy for one party to rule for too long. I personally don't think either of the parties is "right". One party will take us too far left, lose control, the other party will win and take us too far right. It is a balancing act. Now, I'm not saying that this model leads to success, because it usually doesn't, I'm just saying that in a two party system this is bound to happen. You can count on the Republicans to be back on top shortly, take my word for it. As Americans we have a general distrust and distaste for Congress.
- I would like to address the idea of patriotism. When President Bush was in office many citizens spoke out against him and his policies, often the War in Iraq. His supporters said this was unpatriotic and was disrespectful to the troops. I have always thought the reason the troops were fighting was for the ideals of free speech and democracy. However, now, these same people are speaking out against President Obama and his policies. Is this unpatriotic? I'm not saying I agree of disagree with either of these men, we won't go there tonight, I just think that we can't accuse people of being unpatriotic just because we don't agree with them.
I don't think I should say anymore tonight considering it is 5 am and I could easily get carried away. I would just like to encourage everyone to check sources, watch more than one news channel and enjoy the rest of your summer.








6 comments:
Good job! You managed to sound pretty impartial. I agree with what you are saying. In RS this morning, after you left with Molly, our teacher was talking about the 12 Article of Faith. She mentioned that no matter what your politics are, our political leaders deserve courtesy and respect. That does not mean that we can't disagree, but I think it goes along with what you are saying. No one said a work after she finished.
Jess I am a guilty watcher of Big Brother. Mike and I are totally addicted to the show. It is totally a waste of time to listen to crazy people fight with eachother all day. I am a dork :)
Well said. A two party system is designed to take turns. In addition, we the people cannot sit on their laurels year after year complaining to each other and then hope things turn out ok. We need to speak to our representative and be pro-active in making sure that the constitution survives the deliberate attempts that ignore its precepts by both parties. If we do not then we must accept the consequences and lose the freedoms it has established for us and our children.
Can I ask what on earth you are doing up at 5AM?
I totally agree with you! Well said. Oh and Clark and I were in Olive Garden the other night wondering if you still work there... I assumed no because it sounds like you have a different job!
ha ha... love the politics! i will call you when we get back from camping this weekend.
Post a Comment