Thursday, August 6, 2009

Yard

We finally finished our yard. When we moved in there were nasty bushes which Kade ripped out. Every summer I just kept killing all of the plant life that grew because I didn't like it and I didn't know what I wanted in its place. After we got the siding done I felt like it was time to focus on the yard.


I picked out the bricks for the retaining wall so we could build up the flower beds. Kade took care of that, I layed a few myself. Then we got the YM/YW to come fill them in with top soil. (There are definitely some benefits to some church callings.)



Then, my fabulous Mom came up and after a lot of reading in books and internet research we went to Lowes and bought some bushes, vines, and ground cover. I figure that is good for this year. Maybe next year I will get ambitious and add some color. Hopefully everything is still alive.
We also took on the project of a garden this year. (Kade's idea and he also did 99% of the work) I have to say I am pretty proud of us.


Corn, this may be strange but I never realized what a beautiful plant corn can be until I moved next to it.

Potatoes

Zucchini, which by the way is a mutant plant. First of all it has these tiny little stickers which give me a rash. Second, these things grow so dang fast it is unbelievable. If anyone wants any zucchini give me a call.

Peas, which didn't turn out great but the few I did get were delicious. I love eating them right out of the garden. Kade couldn't believe I ate the "ruffage" as he calls it.


Carrots which we have yet to harvest.

Now, the cucumbers....or the lack there of. On a hot sunny day I was out toiling in the garden weeding on my hands and knees only to see Jamal destroy the cucumber mounds in hopes of finding a gopher.


Lets talk about gardening in Lewiston. Now, when I was growing up I often had to help out with weeding the yard. This task was usually performed once a week and even after a week the yard was not a disaster. Now, living in Lewiston it is a daily task to keep weeds a safe distance from the yard or garden. Whether it is weeds, grass or some crop from the field you never know what you will find growing the next time you go outside.

3 comments:

Wes and Dani said...

Aww, I wish we could have a garden...but alas, we live in an apartment. :) Your garden looks great! :)

{amy k.} said...

Wow- that's a serious garden, I'm so jealous! That's awesome you guys get to grow all of that, looks great, bet it tastes yummy too!!!

LauraP said...

Your house is so cute. Clark and I wish we had a house with yard work and a garden! We love that stuff!